Totalization Agreement With Korea

Normally, people who are not U.S. citizens can receive U.S. Social Security benefits when they are outside the U.S., only if they meet certain requirements. However, under the agreement, you can receive benefits as long as you reside in Korea, regardless of your nationality. If you are not a U.S. citizen and you live in another country, you may not be able to receive benefits. Your Payment While You Are Outside The United States (Publication No. 05-10137) explains the restrictions placed on U.S. services.

Foreigners working in Korea must contribute to the NP system, unless there is a social security agreement between Korea and their country of origin, and the person remains under the social security system of the country of origin (see the Social Security Convention in the section „Foreign Tax Relief and Tax Conventions“ for more information). You can apply to one country and request that your application be considered as a right to benefits from the other country. The information from your application will then be sent to the other country. Each country will process the law according to its own laws, if any, will count the other country`s credits – and inform you of its decision. The agreement does not apply to independent Australian residents working in Korea. They are not subject to super-guaranteed law in Australia, so super double coverage does not occur. Pre-retirement allowance between the age of 55 and 59 with coverage of at least 10 years and inactive. The Data Protection Act requires us to inform you that we are entitled to collect this information until Section 233 of the Social Security Act. Although it is not mandatory for you to provide the information to the Social Security Administration, a coverage certificate can only be issued if an application has been received. The information is necessary to enable Social Security to determine whether, in accordance with an international agreement, work should only be covered by the U.S.

social security system. Without the certificate, work can be taxed in both the United States and foreign social security schemes. Our bilateral social security agreement with Korea applies to double super-coverage – that is, if, in both countries, you or your employee had to pay super bonuses (or equivalent contributions) for the same work of your employee.